On April 25th, 2018, Tennessee residents who enjoy Kratom, along with the rest of the country, was holding their breath. Kratom could be banned in this state.
Conference Committee Report on House Bill No. 1832 / Senate Bill No. 2258 was the winning shot for all residents of the state of Tennessee.
The Kratom community had won.
No person under the age of 21 can purchase Kratom in this state.
How It Happened
The House and Senate Conference Committee appointed pursuant to motions to resolve the differences between the two houses on House Bill No. 1832 (Senate Bill No. 2258) has met and recommends that all amendments be deleted.
(The amendment we were all worried about was the ban of Kratom in Tennessee).
The Committee further recommends that the following amendment be adopted: by deleting Sections 10 and 11, substituting instead the following, and redesignating the subsequent sections accordingly:
SECTION 10. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-452(a), is amended by adding the following as a new subdivision (a)(3):
(A) It is an offense for a person to knowingly:
- (i) Sell, or offer for sale, Kratom unless labeled and in its natural form;
- (ii) Distribute, sell, or offer for sale, Kratom to a person under the age of twenty-one (21) years; or
- (iii) Purchase or possess Kratom if under the age of twenty-one (21) years.
(B) For purposes of this subdivision (a)(3):
- (i) “Labeled” means a label containing the manufacturer’s information and a warning that includes, at a minimum, “Warning: Do not use if you are pregnant or nursing. It is illegal to possess Kratom if under 21 years of age. Consult your healthcare professional before using. Do not combine with alcohol or medication. Consult a doctor prior to usage if you have any heart disease, liver disorder, high blood pressure, or medical condition or take medication.”; and
- (ii) “Natural form” means dried, cut, and sifted Kratom leaf or raw Kratom leaf powder.
Tennessee passed this bill in our favor with a vote of 23 to 2. This means the bill has passed both the House and the Senate and will be traveling to the Governor’s desk to be signed.
What Made The Difference?
This was a very scary moment for the Kratom community.
For a while, the ban of Kratom looked concrete and it seemed as if our voices were not being heard.
However, this is the proof that your voice IS being heard by our representatives!
The Kratom community, the Botanical Education Alliance, and the American Kratom Association are all fighting small battles you may have never heard of yet.
This is why you shouldn’t give up fighting for Kratom.
You are only one person, but you are the difference-maker.
When you put off calling today, or if you put off writing today, that may mean the gap gets a little wider.
Education Yourself, To Educate Them
It is important you understand the facts behind Kratom and why some factions in our government want it banned.
The American Kratom Association has a page dedicated to helping you educate yourself on these facts. Look at them and learn each one so you can be prepared the next time you call or write your representative.
This is a win for the Kratom community and today you should be proud of yourself.
Little victories like these give us more traction, and they are evidence not everyone in our government wants Kratom gone.
So pick up the phone, take some time to write a letter with Resistbot, be proactive and create a video testimonial for our government.
Just do something.
Who’s with me?
If you are, click one of the share buttons on this article and spread the message to your favorite social media channel using #IAmKratom.
Let’s do this.